irdwaterville@eircom.net

+353-66-9474366

Butlers Monument

This limestone Celtic cross monument by sculptor A. P. Sharp and architect James Franklyn Fuller Architect, Historian, Genealogist and Novelist who was born in Nedanone near Castlecove, Co. Kerry and grew up in Glashnacree House near Sneem. His work includes The Parknasilla Hotel (Sneem), The Park Hotel (Kenmare), Ashford Castle (Mayo), Farmleigh House (Phoenix Park Dublin), Kylemore Abbey (Galway) to name but a few. The cross was erected in 1889 by neighbours and friends of James Butler of Waterville House (1817-1887) who was an agent for the Hartopp estate and had been a Land Agent in Cork earlier in life he was known as An Buitléarach óg. He was also a very close friend of TJ Wilmot the second Superintendent of the Commercial Cable Company.

Download PDF
To Top ↑