irdwaterville@eircom.net

+353-66-9474366

Coast Guard Cottages

The two semi-detached cottages mid-way on the promenade are the surviving buildings of the Coast Guard Station built there soon after 1822 when the Coast Guard was formed in Ireland. Before this the Butler landlords had operated a coast watch service, which included a 'Watch House' beyond the Southern end of the promenade. In About 1900 the Station was moved to a new building near the Cable Station. In 1923 the new Irish Free State took over the Coast Guard service.

Download PDF
To Top ↑